Pages

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Sourdough - my new favourite book!



I have a love/hate relationship with sourdough.

Firstly I love it -I love the pants off it for so many reasons...  its easier to digest, it's treating grains the way that they are meant to be treated by fermenting, it tastes absolutely delicious,
oh I could go on...

Secondly I hate it - because it is usually wheat flour (in all the recipes anyway...) and I don't tolerate wheat very well - it makes me grumpy and gives me the farts -- what's worse than an uber grumpy gaseous pregnant lady? not much.  And it's damn hard to perfect in your own kitchen.  I've had a go and we were blessed with many very heavy doorstops.

Well my friends - I am sharing with you a loaf of Spelt Almond Bread from
Yoke Mardewi's super excellent book
Sourdough - From Pastries to Gluten Free Wholegrain Breads

It is a comprehensive book all about sourdough and it uses alternative flours.  Hoo-rah! 
 

:: all things allowing butter should be slathered so that there are teeth marks left on it,
in case you did not know. ::

Butter is not evil. Processed and refined foods are evil.
more on that later...

Inside this container holds beautiful bacterial sourdough starter. If you've ever attempted and failed with sourdough, or if you have always wanted to try it - get yourself a copy of this book. It's truly my new favourite on the kitchen shelf.
Right next to Sally Fallon's Nourishing Traditions and Nigella's Feast.


What are your favourite cookbooks? Can you choose just one?

5 comments:

Fiona said...

Oh Amy, this is so timely for me. I've just been scouring the web for sourdough information the past couple of days. And am in fact about to try to create my own starter (as I don't know anybody close who I can get some from). I'll now go looking for the book. Did somebody give you your starter?

Jane @ Shady Baker said...

Yum Amy, this looks delicious. I agree on the butter is not evil comment too. I have so many favourite cookbooks but my sourdough bible is the Bourke Street Bakery cookbook, I have been using their sourdough technique/recipe for about 3 years. Happy baking my friend.

Tanya said...

I've got this one out of the library this very moment and have been enjoying it too. My gluten free sourdough starter was doing really well...until i went away and neglected it. I will try again! Enjoy. Nourishing Traditions also sits proudly on my shelf, but I haven't seen that Nigella one.

Nicole said...

I have a great cook book called 'Fat' by Jennifer McLagan. The sub heading says 'an appreciation of a misunderstood ingredient, with recipes.'
It is fantastic! And with a whole section on butter!
Your bread looks yummy.

Jodie said...

Thanks for the great book review!!!

I'm been dying to try sour dough and after reading about your sucess and now going to serch out this book and finally give it a try.

Thanks Again - Jodie :)