Pages

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

we've got a problem here. a big one.



This does not seem real. Not at all.
Queensland is in dire need of help - and the worst may yet be to come.

A lot of my US readers have been asking about Toowoomba.
There was an inland instant Tsunami there in the Central Business District. It wiped out people, cars, livestock, shops, trucks, you name it - and it was fast. One minute it was raining heavily. The next minute there was a wall of water - some reports of 8M high headed right thru the middle of town.  
It boggled my mind to see where I used to do my shopping under a siege of raging water. People, families caught in cars and on the roads - swept away. People had to refuge on their rooftops overnight. Small children have died.  There is going to be years of recovery, and the mental recovery might just be bigger than the physical flood damage. Many people have seen stranded people without being able to anything to help them - then watching them being ripped down the raging water.  

Queensland is in DIRE need of help.  Help how you can. 
Dig deep.
Donate here. Red Cross might be the best and easiest way for International readers to donate..

I will be auctioning chooks at the Foster Markets on the weekend to donate to the Queensland Flood Relief.
I will also auction one of my yellow birdie/doily pillows I made the other day. Stay tuned.


And on another note...
Happy Birthday, my dear wonderful husband. I will go slather your cake together right now!!
I love you more than you will ever know. And I thank my lucky stars for you.
xx


5 comments:

Cathie said...

happy birthday to your husband!

it's crazy what's happening, well done on the auctions Amy!

Han & Moo said...

My family all live in Toowoomba so my heart was in my mouth since Monday. Thankfully my mum got home from work safely but she was very close to being washed away. Since then we have shed so many tears for our beautiful city - completely left in ruins - but more so for the families who have had their loved ones ripped away from them. There is nothing more devastating. Thanks for doing 'your bit' but agree with you - the mental and emotional side of things is going to be so much harder than the physical. All the best X

Mom said...

We are so sorry for all the trauma that is happening over there. It is horrifying. From this side of the world we watched as Katrina and Rita hit the Gulf Coast in 2005 and I can see that this has to be the same magnitude of devastation and loss. Dad and I were so blessed to be able to help those who had lost everything. The people in the flooded areas are going to need the most basic of things in the coming weeks and months. If any of you are able, go and be a volunteer. You can help with food and clothing distribution, you can help mud out a house, and later you can help rebuild. We are praying...

Mom said...

To our favorite son-in-law, we hope you did have a very nice birthday. You are very special to us.
xxoo

Jodie said...

It sure is a horrific event this latest flooding in QLD... Those poor residents of Toowoomba...

I look forward to your on-line Auction, I'll be placing a bid for sure..

Hugs - Jodie :)